Friday, January 2, 2015

Creative Commons and Insomnia

You know what's fun? Writing music at five in the morning because you can't sleep.

You know what's less fun? Editing that music the next day. Because sometimes what I write at five in the morning is weird.

I got lucky and started the year with a good copy of a hymn introduction. I will get away from the church music (and the organ) eventually, I promise! Anyway, I picked this tune because of its use at Crescent Fort Rouge for Transfiguration - with the words "Songs of Thankfulness and Praise" - which gives me a month and a half to prepare it for worship. My history with the Anglican Church of Canada suggests this tune also for the hymns "Sing of God Made Manifest" for the Baptism of Christ, the wedding at Cana, or the Transfiguration (or all three, why not?), and "At the Lamb's High Feast we Sing" for Easter, so this piece has its uses through the first third or so of the year.
And two for the price of one, there's also a final verse attached to the thing. Just for fun.

So from now I'll try and keep a six-week-or-so lead time on liturgically useful music, at least that which is linked to a specific date in the calendar.

Meanwhile, there's a new little image at the bottom of this page, and of all my previous blog posts. It looks like this:
Creative Commons License

That's right, I'm now licensed under Creative Commons. The little symbols mean that you can do what you like with these pieces, provided that you're not republishing them for commercial use (if anyone's going to sell 'em, it'll be me, thanks!) and provided that, if you use my work to create something of your own, it has the same permissions - so in other words, your Variations on a Theme by Mike Cutler will be similarly licensed for free public use. Or Creative Commons will find you and mail you a nasty letter or something. To be perfectly honest, I don't know how it works at all. Which is not unusual for me.
Thanks go to Facebook contact Noel Jones for pointing out this option!

Anyway. Toccatina on Salzburg. And a final verse. Three-pager this time.




Creative Commons License
Toccatina on "Salzburg" by Mike Cutler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment