Friday, May 13, 2016

Bach-plus: what comes after the Pedal-exercitium?

A very kind person by the name of Victor Frost donated to my project; I asked him what he would like to see in exchange, and he mentioned the Bach Pedal-exercitium, and that he thought after my pedal study (Voluntary in D Major) that I should take a run at that work.
And while I completed the incomplete work, I'm not sure that the result is exactly what he had in mind.
Here's a PDF of the work, so you can try it for yourself.

So I started from the "completions" of the Pedal-exercitium I found through some research, and I decided that rather than continue in the toccata style, I'd add a new movement. I took the Exercitium to be prelude material, and added a second movement:

... a second movement for double pedal. But, as you can tell from the key (not the G minor we started in) and the open cadence at the end, we're not finished.

So I added a third movement:


... and created a Little Suite for pedals.

If you want to see the first and last pages, I recommend the above PDF; if you want to see more like this, I recommend the "donation" button below!

Thanks again to Victor for his kind donation!


Creative Commons License
Little Suite for Pedals by Mike Cutler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.


Your donations can help me keep writing these! Click to feed a composer!

No comments:

Post a Comment